Thursday, February 27, 2014

Wednesday 02/27/2014 Beaufort SC Sea Eagle Market

Anthony and David pulling a crab trap on Battery Creek; Beaufort SC

     I had the opportunity to go along while Anthony and David pulled some crab pots for the Sea Eagle Market.  One thing I have found about the seafood industry – everything about it is colorful.  The boats, the marker buoys, the catch, the characters – the whole thing is a striking array of contrasts and hues.





     I cannot do the Sea Eagle Market (Boundary St. in Beaufort SC) justice in a short article.  I had a bit of time to take some shots in the market, and watched a few videos on their website, and there is a lot of depth to this place.  What I can say is that the Reaves family is four generations deep in their involvement with the market.  I can also say that I have been around some of the fishermen, and quietly behind the scenes the Reaves go above and beyond to help those struggling when it is appropriate.  They also are doing the best they know how to be good stewards of the coast and the industry in not just this community, but the South Carolina coast as a while.  Given the opportunity I will try to do a piece that does this family justice in the future.  I would also encourage those of you in this area to purchase seafood here if you can – a dollar spent with a local firm circulates many times in the community versus a dollar that goes overseas and is gone for good.

Cameron Reaves preparing Salmon

Zach preparing fish for shipping


     From the little I have seen, I sense that the seafood industry in this country, just like the dairy industry is on the brink of extinction.  Foreign competitors that do not have the regulations and expenses to contend with have flooded the market.  Just as in the farming industry there are laws that sound great on paper but in practicality handicap the people trying to do the work.  On the other side of the coin there are standards that must be held up if our food supply is going to be kept safe.  I am sure it is a topic that I will encounter many times as I travel.

Crab claws and conch
Queen Trigger Fish

Toad-fish

    This is a toad fish – I wanted to get a better shot of it, but they are too slimy to pick up.  Anthony told me to put my finger in its mouth and I would be able to get a good shot of it – in fact I would have the chance to get many good shots of it because when they bit they do not let go.  From the looks of its dental work I decided not to try.


     This is a South Carolina Dingo.  Ancient Indian artwork indicates that it is directly descended from the dogs that were domesticated and bred by the Indians in this area.  They were discovered living in the wild in the 1970’s, and subsequent DNA testing has shown that genetically they are at the base of the canine tree.  You can tell that the dog has a different temperament than other domesticated dogs – it does not care for petting but rather wants to chase or be chased.  It is a keen animal.

Have a great Thursday all !!

David

If you are having any trouble getting these by email, just contact me by Clicking Here.  If you can spare a few bucks to help with this effort, please Click Here.  Thank you for your interest and support !!



No comments:

Post a Comment