Friday, March 28, 2014

3/28/14 Trolley Stop #6 - Pirates in Savannah


     Every rare once in a while you take a photo and later find that it is way better than you thought.  This shot was taken from one of the many little squares that dot Savannah.  I shot it with the long lens from probably 200 feet, so I could't see much when I took it.  Upon developing the shot I see the young girl swooning behind the window. Cool shot.


Ross Atteberry

     Being I am out and about most of every day, I run into a lot of police officers.  I have met a dozen or so in Savannah, and I have to say the are among the politest as a group I have ever met.  I don't think it is that Savannah has less problems than other towns - it just seems that the officers here do not see themselves as apart or above the rest of the citizens.

     I was in one of the many town squares - the open parks that dot Savannah, and a man had fallen and sliced open his leg.  Ross, the officer above responded and was helping the man well before the paramedics arrived.  

     One of the issues in any city is the homeless.  I feel a bit of empathy for them - after all, I am homeless too.  Here are a few of the faces about town.




     The last photo was taken out of my passenger window.  I parked and neither of the two knew I was listening and shooting.  The officer inquired when the last time the man had eaten and asked about a book he saw the man was carrying.  Then the officer asked if he minded moving off the sidewalk, as other folks would be coming along.  The man complied, and you could see he was grateful to be treated as a human being.

    Yeah, I may be homeless too, but I have my standards.  This morning I am writing you from the Marriott.


     I chose the Marriott because of the breakfast - they have a way better breakfast then La Quinta.  And the quiet parking lot - there is a nice quiet corner back behind some trees.  And they have a pool with showers.  I mean, like I said, I have standards.  I am not going to sleep in the parking lot of just any old hotel.




     The wrought iron work here is amazing.  It is at least as extensive as it is in Charleston SC, but oddly there was none of it in between the cities.  I have not been able to find out why - there must have just been a few iron workers back in the day.  I know in Charleston the most famous couple of iron workers were black free-men that had their own businesses long before the civil war.  Maybe I will happen upon the history of it here.  It sure is beautiful.
Jake Givens
     
     I am trying to get one or two of the characters played by the Old Savannah Tours company each day.  Meet Jake Givens - he was born in Savannah and has studied ballet.  Jake plays an effeminate drunken pirate - or a drunken effeminate pirate - which ever way you look at it he plays the role quite well.  He hangs out at the trolley stop by the old pirate house that stands on the edge of town.


     It was built in 1733, and as you can see from the crooked doors and windows, it is surprising it is still standing.  It served as an inn for sailors for a number of years. There was a tunnel dug from the basement down to the wharf.  Unsuspecting patrons would be drugged and dragged through the tunnel to awaken at sea.  There is the story of a Savannah police officer who feel into this trap and took two years to make his way back to Georgia. 



     As each shuttle bus comes by, Jake stumbles aboard and slurs about smuggling rum and shanghaiing recruits.  For those that get off the trolley at this stop, there are a few more role-players just inside the restaurant.  



     So, the pirate tradition is being kept alive and well in Savannah.  There are many legends about various sea-islands that might have been used to hide treasure that was lost when the pirates were killed or captured.  Perhaps one day a trove will show up. . .


Jeffery Hall

     Here you find Jeffery Hall playing the role of Johnny Mercer, a Savannah boy who was a prolific song writer throughout the middle of last century.  He and Judy Garland were a number for many years.  Anyway, Jeffery - the real Jeffery - is the creative director for Old Savannah Tours.  Between gigs of playing various roles he juggles phone calls and emails.  He is in the process of hiring a black actress to play a couple of roles.  (the first black nun and the first black nurse in the US were from Savannah.) 


    Then, after a full day at the stage company he was off to entertain a group of children.  I didn't get much time with him - perhaps we can get a bit more insight tomorrow. 

All have a happy Friday !!
David

If you can make a contribution to help start the foundation, please click Here.  To contact me or to get this directly by email, just click here.  Your support is needed and appreciated!!

  



     
















No comments:

Post a Comment